Is the Snake's Tongue Plant Poisonous to Dogs?

Is the Snake's Tongue Plant Poisonous to Dogs?

We are searching data for your request:

Forums and discussions:
Manuals and reference books:
Data from registers:
Wait the end of the search in all databases.
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.

While chewing unsuitable objects such as plants is typically associated with puppies, adult dogs may ingest houseplants or outdoor ornamentals as well. It’s in Fido’s best interest to pass on chewing up snake’s tongue plants, which contain substances that act as mildly toxic gastrointestinal irritants in dogs.

Toxic Components

The leaves and flowers of snake’s tongue contain saponins, which the plant produces to protect itself from predation by microbes, fungi and insects. The plant’s overall toxicity is relatively low. A dog’s gastrointestinal reaction may be mild to moderate, but the pet probably won’t cross the line into life threatening toxicosis. The saponins have a very bitter taste, which will likely convince the pet to look elsewhere for tastier snacking before he consumes enough snake’s tongue to do real damage.

Symptoms of Ingestion

Dogs that sample snake’s tongue plants may experience loss of appetite, depression, drooling, upset tummy, vomiting and diarrhea. Call your canine medical professional immediately.



Watch the video: 25 Plants Toxic to Cats you Need to Know! (May 2022).

Video, Sitemap-Video, Sitemap-Videos